Friday, November 13, 2009

The Day after the Night Before (I survived a 21st)


8.45 Saturday morning there is a car honking outside my window. I'm still in bed - barely conscious - I'm supposed to be dressed and ready to go. My friend Toni is picking me up. Off for a day long course on learning dispositions and key competencies. She is getting impatient. I crawl to her car still in my PJs." Give me 2 minutes".I croak "and I'll be right there". I wish I could iron the exhaustion and sleep lines off my face. No luck!! That's what you get for having a 21st birthday at your house the night before.

They tell me they turned off the music about 2.30 AM and after the big ones went to town(Hey do any of you know that town only gets going at that hour?) Tom stayed up and cleaned up the lounge, cleared the dishes and sorted the bottles for the recycling bin. He's a good lad. It was a great night. Thank you so much Miri and Bill and Catherine for being family there with me for Rosies birthday.

It was a night I had in truth been feeling anxious about. Not the having friends and family round for dinner part. I'm good at that. I love that bit. No it was the after dinner bit. The PARTY bit!! That takes me way out of my comfort zone. Any insecurity I ever had culminates in hosting a party. Who would come? Do I know anyone who would want to come? What say no one comes?

As I heard today it was an opportunity for me to practise 'growthmindset' thinking. That is , do something that carries a risk of failure. I need not have worried. It was a really fun night. Some of my friends ,some of Tom's friends and many of Rosies friends were there. Everyone looked like they had a great time, nothing terrible happened and today Rosie said it had been  exactly as she wanted it to be. Very Good. One down and only one to go. Thank goodness I did not have 8 children. My parents were wise. They did not go in for parties. They saved themselves a lot of needless anxiety.  Now that I have mastered the art of Parties it's only dogs and flying that I need to feel anxious about.

Have a great worry free week.

Marg

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Rosie -I'm so glad that you enjoyed your 21st - a very important age indeed!

    Marg, totally hear you on the party front - but good on you for doing it - and enjoying it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hosting a party always makes me feel anxious too. I always think, "What if everyone just sits and stares at each other and can't wait to leave." Good for you for stepping up to the plate. I love the term "growthmindset." I'm holding on to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments- it's really comforting to know that Im not alone in my "don't make me have a party" way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes sir, "growthmindset" has been added to my vocabulary too, and I would most definitely have to apply that to have a party. I am very impressed by the 21st activity down there, impressed that Rosie's so outgoing she wants a party, impressed at Tom's party-clearing-up activities, and impressed at you for making it all happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marg,
    Well done on the party front. It's a funny phenomenon, the party, because most people i know are too afraid to throw one and most people you talk to get nervous about attending them - but we keep on having them. Does that mean that most people are usually walking around in a state of panic about parties? Go figure.

    I, myself, didn't have a 21st as too much angst re the points you noted. But I don;t care anymore and actually think I will throw myself a 40th bash (have 4 years for you all to forget I ever said that so safe enough). I'll put on the invite "Presents mandatory"! ha.

    Well done, again. Happy Birthday Rosie - great photo.

    Love MAry

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great Party. Well done to you all. Actually the conversation got around to the last party we went to at the esteemed venue: Ken's surprise 40th so who's next? Thinking along the lines of custom made cards and Mary's request for a 'declined with pleasure' you could have an 'accepted with regret' card, neither of which were necessary for your party Rosie which we all thoroughly enjoyed. Johnny has just done his invitations and put on them a list of games he has planned, including a Pinata so its paper mache for the next three nights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. >Now that I have mastered the art of Parties it's only dogs and flying that I need to feel anxious about.

    Over the last few years I thought I was alone in feeling stress and anxiety related to the organising of parties! Divorced for several years it was the "aloneness" that threw me for awhile, however like all in life once I broke a work related barbe down into tasks it all worked out easily, especially when I delegated some tasks to my son. On the day too there are always "emergent" helpers - someone only too happy to turn the sausages!

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete