Monday, January 25, 2010

Walks that leave you weary but happy.







Part of me wants to apologise for yet again showing you photos of my garden but the other part just wants you to enjoy the growth that has occurred despite the very indifferent summer we have had and sporadic bursts of input from me.

I love how things grow with or without me and I am amazed at what a constant source of pleasure it is to me as I look out on it as I sit at my dining table. When I look at the garden, I often see my neighbours white cat sitting on top of the fence gazing down  and  I am reminded of Rapunzels mother who looked longingly at the lettuces in the witches garden and sent her poor husband to steal some.

At work I am known for overestimating my capacity to achieve and underestimating the enormity of the task I have set myself. (by contrast I think a definition of anxiety is overestimating the task and underestimating one's ability to achieve the task). At times the same applies to my non work life. Last year I was determined to walk my way entirely through this great book which charts pretty much all of Dunedin's walk ways. Im not sure how many weekends I thought there were in a year but is clear that I miscounted. I think I need about 250 weekends to do all of these. Anyway last week as a preparation for the peninsula challenge this coming weekend I walked one of the very lovely tracks in this book. It was the walk from Henley through to Taeiri Beach. About 10 km in total.  There's quite a lot of going up and down which gives the track a cassification of moderate to hard but it's such an enjoyable walk that it's well worth doing whatever the weather.  I was weary but happy at  the end.
Here's a couple of photos along the way to inspire you.
Have a great inspirational week everyone.


cheers Marg

 




3 comments:

  1. Oh your garden looks so good. I can't wait to see it in person some time over the coming year. The wirenetting is such a good idea too, that would stop rapunzel's mother, or whatever that white cat is called, coming down to do unspeakables in the fresh dirt.
    The walk sounds and looks lovely. Good on you and just as well there are so many weekends ahead to see off the other 249!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great looking walk - I would love to do that some time. Your garden looks great. Ours looks like Miriam's before she did something about the garlic. Well the good thing about overestimating one's ability is that you are never too afraid to give something a try. and then you find you can succeed and thereby reinforce the idea that you can always do it. Better that way than the other, me thinks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't resist a look at the garden when I returned the tent the other day. It's down by the washing machine. You have amazingly green fingers. The garden looked wonderful including side and front garden. Even the rhubarb (which I had noticed before it got in the ground and thought it might struggle)was bursting out of it's skin. Not like MA'S hot latino shorts/sausage skin bursting, more like bursting with vigour.

    ReplyDelete