Saturday, January 29, 2011

Home alone follies.....

I must be insane- in fact I am convinced of it. I am home alone - Rosie in the UK and Tom now away flatting - and so what do I do - I buy 5 kg of apricots and make jars and jars of chutney and then more bottles of apricot sauce than anyone person can use.

Those January habits of pickle making are hard to break. I tell myself that pickle is just as worth making for myself to enjoy as for others but still it seemed absurd even to me to make that much - as delicious as it is. This is a recipe from the Stewart Island cook book. Easy and yielding good results.
Here it is if you care to try it.

2 kg apricots
360 g raisins
560 ml vinegar ( 1 pint)
2 tsp curry powder
500 g onions
2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger.

make in usual way - simmer one and a half hours. Bottle.  ( enjoy - all year long if you are by yourself and perhaps for a month or two if there's more of you.)

Ah well - becoming accustomed to whatever stage of life you are at  takes a little getting used to and Im sure a little foolishness along the way does no harm.

Here's to week of summer fruits.

Marg

4 comments:

  1. But think of the gifting potential, Marg! Nice work, you know that kind of homeliness has completely bi-passed me. I have time for only one hobby and it's a pretty time consuming one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious! If there's any left by July I'l be happy to take it off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. 5kg is alot of apricots in the flesh but they clearly haven't gone to waste. Hope you've got some jars left for plums later in the season...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum. I haven't done any apricots yet but my cupboards are filling up with other things. Like you, those January habits are firmly entrenched.

    ReplyDelete