Friday, November 5, 2010

Chloe and her Cake .....

Meet Chloe - here she is. Chloe as it turns out has been boarding with us for coming into the fourth month now. When Chloe first came my way I thought she was going to stay four days. But when she got off the plane with 2 enormous suitcases I knew that my ideas were mistaken. It is typical of the attention I pay at times to detail - which as you can see is very little- however somehow it opens up for a more interesting life. '

It has been a real treat having Chloe here. Among other things she loves to think about baking. Recently she bought a book with 500 cake recipes. At the rate of one a week that would take nearly 10 years to make all of those. As luck would have it a friends daughter had a birthdy recently so Cloe pulled out all the stops and tried her hand at one of the recipes.
The little girl was really happy with the cake and Chloe got such a buzz out of making it. It reminded me of all the little things in life that make a person happy - like making a cake for example and being really pleased with your efforts.

I've just finished my 4 week stint of travelling for work. I've had a week in Alexandra, a week in Cromwell, a week based in Wanaka and finally a week in Queenstown.  I bet you're feeling really sorry for me having to be in such a beautiful part of the country. You know I was worried about being away, worried about being alone in a motel room, worried about being worried but it was fine. even this last week when my lack of organisation got the better of me and I had no battery charger for by ipod or my cellphone so both went flat and my computer froze so I couldn't work on it and I hadn't packed enough of the right clothes and then permanently stained my one respectable top with ink from my pen and still had to look as if I knew what I was doing and you know what I was fine. Fine but tired so last night I did the unthinkable. I went to bed at 9.00PM. This morning when I was talking to Rosie on the phone and I told her that I felt like a real old lady going to bed so early she laughed and said - you are an old lady!! OF course how could I forget myself. IN the eyes of a nearly 22 year old I am ancient indeed.

So things to look forward to this week are
- staying home for the whole week
- going to book club and not talking about books
- cooking in my own kitchen
- sleeping in my own bed
- going to bed early if I feel like it.

Heres to a week of all the small things that make a person happy- no matter how old they are.

Cheers Marg ( 48 years old)

5 comments:

  1. HI Marg, well it sure sounds like a busy month and many challenges to overcome - it's amazing what resources we have when we need them.

    Oh yes, that shirtdress - there were many problems with it, that's why I bought the new fabric with the hope of making a better fist of it this time! I do hope someone in the op shop can find a way to wear it - I never could and neither could you or Miri by the sounds of things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Chloe! Sylvie just rushed over to have a look and was super impressed.

    It must be nice to be back home after such a long time away- there's nothing like your own things, own house, own bed, own fridge. Have a great week of small things that make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Marg,

    Louis was really thrilled with the card and that rubbering spiky glowing thing. It looks like something a colono-rectal surgeon would remove so of course it is just perfect for a two year old boy!! Cheers, Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realised I never commented on this post! That cake looks excellent. Chloe sounds like my kinda house guest!
    Hope you're enjoying your week at home. Funnily enough, talking about own beds, this bed I have still doent feel like my bed, even after nearly three months. I'm putting it down to it being a single. I havnt had a single bed in at least 13 years I dont think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake does look great and a cake a week is a noble aspiration, Isn't that reason enough? Like you I loved that dress but I think the problem was the 'girl lines' were out and the fit for me not quite right so I looked, well, to a nearly 22 year old anyway and anything below that, middle-aged. Oh yes, I am middle-aged. I too forget.

    ReplyDelete