Friday, December 18, 2009

A parcel of my own !!


 
 
 
 
 
 Today something very exciting happened.!! Tom rang me at work to say that a parcel had arrived - it was from America! Who could it be from? Let me tell you - it was from this amazingly talented  artist called Christy.  You can find out all about her here: http://thehouseofnana.blogspot.com/

You know I'm not even supposed to get this parcel yet. I'm paying it off in installments. That's how I buy art. In fact when my hot water cylinder was leaking and close to blowing up I went and made my first deposit on a screen print by Dunedin artist GillianPope.  The woman who let me pay off the painting said she was proud of me for choosing art over hot water.( she is saleswoman through and through) I have never regretted that choice although my power bills were exceedingly high that winter.












I really loved this painting when I saw it on Christy's etsy shop but I can't tell you how lovely it is in real life. The colours have a depth and intensity that you can't really see from the photo and the painting has a prescence that's also hard to describe. What I really love about it is it reminds me of the collection of old irons my dad had scattered round his place - it connects me to times and places I remember from my childhood and I love the domesticity of the iron. ( not that mine gets much use) So thank you Christy - I will get so much pleasure from this painitng.




Finally  and just because it's nearly Christmas - here's my knitted nativity set out on show for the festive season. Did you notice the knitted santa propped drunkenly beside the shepherds. Like he's had too much to drink and fallen out of his sleigh and landed with a thud beside the sacred scene. He was a bargain today for just $2 at the St Vincent de Paul shop. I was ostensibly out on a work based errand and just had to pop in on my way back to work.  Luckily at this time of year my colleagues are willing to be be generous towards my failings. 

So what an exciting day and it's not even Christmas.  Enjoy a light hearted, looking forward to Christmas fun- filled week. Marg



8 comments:

  1. Ha drunken santa. I like it. Luckily at this time of year your family are willing to be generous towards your failings too... just kidding you know we love it as much as you do. Top job on the painting choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that painting will be so perfect for your house. It really suits the warm and cosy atmosphere of the back room. I can't wait to see it in situ. AND I LOVE that nativity set, it's so awesome. Yay for Christmas kitsch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another painting to hang, we love it and you're right, paint in real life is so much more than a photo of it. Johnny's very pragmatic letter to Santa (written at school) said 'I get presents from my mum and dad and aunts and uncles but if you reply to this letter could you get me...' Santa has not been taking his responsibilities seriously in this household either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great painting and love that drunken Santa - rearrange the letters and you get 'satan' I think there's something going on there Marg.

    see you soon - incidently, Benjy wants to know what to get Thomas for his secret Santa gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you're happy with the painting, Marg!! It was such a delight for me to send it off! And how lovely that you made a post about it. Thank-you!

    And I love the kintted nativity. I always wanted to knit a nativity but, alas, have never even gotten one tiny sheep completed. And the drunken Santa is great. I'm sure Santa has to drink a few to make it through such a busy time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice art Marg.... nice and homely as you say.

    Catching up with blogs here, but as the Xmas pressure is on they're a bit brief. However keep up the good work - I'm enjoying the different approaches each week,

    Cheers

    Donald

    \*/
    |
    |||
    ||||| ** Merry Xmas **
    |||||||
    |||||||||
    |

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jude's parcel arrived today and is comfortably stashed under the tree, thanks. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marg! You're a quality art work yourself,you know, true! You've always passed on that -blow- the -breeze -through notion that you can just step aside now and then and have a peek at what else you might do or what else might turn up if you just did or thought that wild thing. Very -Margaret Mahy and Janet Frame and Joy Cowley - ish

    ReplyDelete