Sunday, December 6, 2009

Routines ,Rituals and Regular Events


In our early childhood curriculum there is a learning outcome which states that "children will become familiar with the routines rituals and regular events of their learning environment". 

For a long while I think I thought that routines were tedious and dull but I was very aware while away recently of all the many routines that govern my life. Like, I realise I do not especially enjoy breakfast conversation and I really hate breakfast TV. Mostly because I work all day long in a place where I have to talk frequently to a great many people and so I relish my morning solitude. In the same way I like some time by myself at the very end of the day and so have always stayed up late after the household is at rest, reading and often listening to the radio or current  favourite cd. 

Then there are all the rituals which go with Christmas approaching. This week Jenny wrote about making christmas cakes. In our house we always make elderflower cordial at this time of year. The flowers bloom for just a few weeks and you have to pick the heads not to soon and not late to get the best flavour. Getting them just right involves following your instincts and peering at the bushes intently as you dawdle your way to work and back. Then you wrench the flowerheads off and try not to look as if you are stealing someone's prize roses. It's ok though because elderflower bushes really are considered a weed around here. Not precious at all but the cordial is wonderful. Heres the recipe if you want to give it a go.


Elderflower cordial

25 heads of elderflower
1.5litres boiled water
1.5 kg sugar
2 lemons thinly sliced
50g citric acid

Dissolve sugar and citric acid in water. Cool  then add lemons and elderflower heads. Leave in a covered bucket or bowl for 2 days. Strain and bottle.   Put your feet up - get someone to get you  a glass, add some cordial and top up with soda water.  Is an  amazing fizzy fragrant drink on a hot day. It makes you feel like Christmas, relaxing, sunshine and everything else that goes with summer - even in Dunedin!!

On a final note it is fabulous to have our home internet back. I was surprised how much I missed it when it wasn't around. How quickly we learn to rely on technology!!

Happy Christmas rituals to you.  Marg

5 comments:

  1. Yes I can vouch for that Marg. You have always stayed up late, whereas there's nothing I like better than an early night to read in bed. It's my most comfortable place to be. I feel inspired to make that cordial. It would be really nice if the inspiration got a bit of action behind it. Our computer is back, but yet to reinstall all the programmes, still waiting for Picassa and Finepix and don't know what else is missing till I go looking for it. Fortunately there are teenagers in the house and many things are possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Marg I am really looking forward to seeing you at Xmas and helping you with your coat. There's a fine Smith household Xmas tradition that involves the 'cheap and cheerful' secret Santa present. As part of Trevor's birthday present I bought Annarose's gift because he really didn't know where to start so I took that off his hands. However I am organising yours.. hints? suggestions? otherwise you'll get something HANDMADE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handmade or handme down will be wonderful. Im really looking forward to seeing you all as well. We will have a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elderflower cordial, yummy. I must go and find me some elderflowers. I noticed some at the edge of the playground at school but there's only one tree and I think they'd notice 25 heads missing in action. Perhaps a drive into the country is in order.
    I quite like staying up late too, although it's often staying up late reading my book in bed because that's the warmest and comfiest place.
    Speaking of which, it's bed time and I have a great book to read- "American Wife" by Curtis Sittenfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a dislike also of early morning breakfast conversations Marg. I've tended to justify my reflective silences, to myself at least, as meditative - just part of my preferred routine! And as you rightly point out they are important.

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete