Tuesday, December 1, 2009

a westcoast wedding and wretched technology.

Can it be done I ask myself?
 What's that you say?
Well is it possible to make a blog entry with no photos?

Im going to try.
The wretched home computer has a fault. We can't use our internet and therefore I can't post any photos because they are all deleted from my camera and stored on our old cranky hunk of junk which doesnt even have a cd writer!!
So I had to come into work tonight to clear some urgent emails and also put in a couple of hours on a report due way to soon and now distracted want to write about the wedding of my good friend Pauline who got married to Dave this last weekend at the Brunner mine just a minute before her 50th birthday. 

If Pauline were a plant I'd call her a rare desert cactus which flowers once or twice in a lifetime. So it was a special occassion to be virtually the only guest at the wedding  who wasn't family.( I was the witness, reader and ring bearer) The wedding group numbered 12 in all including bride, groom and vicar and his wife. Pauline and Dave rode their mopeds to the wedding( old bikes with motors attached) and we trailed behind in a couple of cars. They both wore old jeans and tee shirts and we all got wet under the drizzly rain. Later we went back to their house - feasted on mock turkey ( Pauline is vegetarian) and real west coast smoked chickens ( dave's secret recipe)  and drank plenty of wine. More  wine than 12 people should, I suspect. It was such fun!! And so inspiring and amazing to see the two of them together - they found each other by chance and later with much patience and persistence by Dave he finally won Pualine over. I know they will be  happy together.

I also totally loved the trip over to Greymouth. I got a lift to Chirstchurch - stayed in a squalid backpackers overnight and caught the bus over Arthurs Pass.  I really enjoyed sitting back and taking in the scenery. At one point while I was listening to my ipod I looked up at the mountains and it was as if at that exact moment there was a perfect fusion of sound and scenery. In that split second  I felt I didn't need to die to go to heaven - it was like I was already there. Words cant do the experience justice - you had to be there and even if you were I guess you had to be me to feel that way. Still I'm holding that moment. It's going to be crazy here over the next  2 or 3 weeks. So I'll revisit the memory to preserve my wits in the coming days.

Well enough unaccompanied words already. Have a great technologically perfect week. Marg

4 comments:

  1. well don't worry there's plenty of problems with the technology where we are too - Trev bought an upgrade for a computer and it causes the modem to jam on sites with too many pictures - I'm rebooting every several blog visits. How frustrating is that!

    Glad you had a lovely time. Squalid backpackers.. there's an age where you just can't do it anymore. Or maybe that's ol' princess puss up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wedding sounds great- what a fun occasion. I haven't been over Arthur's Pass for years now that I think of it, I'd love to do it on the transalpine for those same reasons (sitting back and taking in the scenery while listening to my ipod).
    Shame about your computer- hurrumph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No photos needed, I think your description did justice to a unique and beautiful time. I have never been to such a wedding in my life or looked into the mountains with an ipod. Its fun to imagine it. Glad you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're all out in sympathy with the 'wretched home computer'. Ours is back with a price tag but still with the odd scary freeze and no faster. It has strengthened my resolve to get photos onto hard copy and into albums...quick. I love hearing about that wedding. As Jen said to the assistant when she bought her shoes off the bargain table, 'it's not the right pair of shoes that makes the day, it's the right man' or words to that effect.
    Driving home over the pigroot yesterday, and Bill has cobbled something together so that we can play CDs through the tape player in the little red car, and driving through beautiful countryside, alone the two of us, and lovely music, I did think, if my life was a movie the scenes in it would be just like this. Same soundtrack.
    Hope the next few weeks have moments of serenity.

    ReplyDelete