Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another holiday , another time , another place....


For the last 7 days I have shrugged off adult responsibilities and worries about taking another holiday after I just had one at Christmas, and left them neatly packaged in my car at Bluff while the kids and I enjoyed our first holiday all together ( not counting attending funerals) in 3 years. 

We came to Stewart Island - the photo above is a  view from the crib we were staying in. It was the first time for Rosie. Tom came down here when he was 12 and again 13 and sailed around the Island on a boat called the Elwing
 and I came down here for work last year but that had been the first time back since I was a teenager.  

For me it was the perfect holiday - as much for the suspended reality as for the amazing scenery of the place. Every day we did a walk - no shortage of bush walks to choose from here. I think the childhood experiences of making the children go walking  are paying dividends. They willingly came with me !!
 
I read all my library books I brought with me and then some more  off the shelves while Tom and Rosie amused themselves with the jigsaw puzzles in the house. We caught up with Ken and Mary and baby Louis who also spent a weekend on the Island ( thanks for having us to lunch  - great to see you!).  We ate at the Kai Cart, the kids went out on a fishing boat and caught blue cod - I went the museum and we all joined in on a team at the  weekly Sunday night Quiz night which is held at  the pub.


 
Every night as a tribute to the puddings our Mother always made for my kids when we visited her, we made jelly with fruit. The photo above is the deluxe version we had on the last night. Jelly , fruit, cream and grated chocolate. So simple - so delicious! 

these are two of my favourite shots- Rosie and Tom - enjoying each other's company - brother and sister - carefree - nothing matters here - life begins again for all of us tomorrow. May the strength of this holiday sustain us all year long. 

Have a great week - Marg 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Marg,
    Your post and photos are great - really sums up Stewart Island. I can't wait to get back again - after all those years of going "yeah yeah" when Ken suggested it! I couldn;t believe how beautiful and interesting and relaxing it was. The boat ride back was in stark contrast - people were losing their lunch into paper bags left right and centre. Fortunately, Louis found it all highly amusing - unlike his mother who crouched on the deck, feeling very green.

    It was so lovely to see you all on Saturday (and eat your blue cod) and catch up with Anna-Rose and Toms' plans - you are all great company.

    Hope everything goes well for Anna-Rose and her interview and for Tom and his job decisions.

    Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lovely holiday made complete with pudding every night. Hear hear. We spray the glasshouse plants down to assist with fruit set including runner beans. The catch phrase for tomatoes and cucumbers is normally 'buzz pollination' because the bumble bees vibrate at the exact speed that the pollen requires to 'explode' and self pollinate but bumble bees here have a short season at the beginning of summer and then we don't really see them in the same numbers.
    Still, I don't imagine Dn has had a dry summer?
    We are down for Catherine's 50th this w/e but it will be a flying visit. See you sometime, Miri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Stewart Island - whenever I smell gumtrees, long drops, and smokey coal ranges I think of Stewart Island. Also whenever I see lots of stars at night - it was great for that. Would love to have a trip back there one day but I get terribly terribly sick after inner ear disturbances and the nausea can last for days. A little scared at the prospect..

    Best of luck to everyone for happy future prospects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing Marg - Arthur and Barbara are good friends of mine and we've done a few voyages.

    I also host their web site and that is my son aged about 13 in lots of the photos.

    After my reply to your welcome comment on my blog, and now having seen yours with it's great photos and text I realise I'm truly home sick for the sea and bush!

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that photo of Rosie and Tom having a laugh, and all those beautiful photos make me wish I was going to Stewart Island some time in the near future! What a great holiday, aiyeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You New Zealanders are such fun loving folk. Oh, and I'll send another invoice very soon, as requested. Take care!

    ReplyDelete