Sunday, February 28, 2010

Every Hood has a silver lining....

 

I made this hoodie for Annarose to take back to Wellington. She chose the fabric which included a piece of silver ever so stretchy lycra for the linings.  I may be on a sewing roll because now Tom wants one too, and so another project will soon be gaining momentum. He and I are planning a shopping trip to get a pattern and fabric but I'm going to have put my foot down on sewing with silver lycra - stunning it may be but to sew it is an absolute nightmare.  It slipped and stretched all over the place and in the end I had to sew it with tissue paper under the pressure foot. It got me thinking about that saying " every cloud has a silver lining".  It would seem to me that any benefits won by hardship are indeed well earned but does everything have to be so hard! There must be an easier way to sew lycra!!


 

It wouldseem the effort was worth it. Annarose said she had lots of comments on the silver lining when she wore it to University today. 

 

One of the reasons why I had my own back garden paradise constructed was because  this is the view from my kitchen window. Not very appealing you might think. You would be right and is probably one of the reasons why I won't live in this house forever. However yesterday when I was cooking dinner in the kitchen I happened to look up and noticed those sunflowers in the second garden over. It's not the best photo but there they were looking bright and cheerful and amazing over there! I couldn't believe that all summer I hadn't noticed them ! I wonder what I've been doing when I look out the window which I do all the time?  How unobservant is that? This week Im going to consciously look for lovely things in dull surroundings.

When Rosie came home for the summer I wondered if I would find anything of interest to write about as blog entries and I was surprised how there was always any number of possible posts. Now that I am back to sending parcels I wonder if any readers of this blog are still interested in seeing what goes in a parcel ?

I shall leave you to ponder the answer. Have a happy week. Marg

5 comments:

  1. I am always intrigued to know what goes in the weekly parcel, but your other posts are equally interesting so why limit yourself to one or the other?
    I love that hoodie. I love that hoodie. I love that hoodie.
    Hope the move to welly went well, I might have to send a flat-warming parcel of my own to Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marg

    You should try sewing the material used in a Harry Potter invisibility cloak ;)

    Seriously I can relate to your effort - I learnt an upholstery and canvas work trade in another life. So well done.

    I think the sun flower shot is really quite arty/nice too. I like the low key light and the composition.

    So.... a parcel a week takes off again. It's the last year for my son Dougal at high school - maybe I'll be sending them also!

    Bye for now

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the hoodie Marg - that was not easy to sew I know! Basically lycra has 4 way stretch - to stop your presser foot from stretching it out you need a walking foot - that's a foot that "walks" rather than drags across the fabric. I don't know where you would get one for an Elna like yours ... but it sounds like you did a good improvisation job - well done you, the hoodie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does have the look of a capping gown, all splendid and cultural and special occasion. Very well done indeed. I wonder if there is a term, like 'blog-crossing', or 'blog-expansion' where you step outside of your original, self-defined blog niche. Anyway I'm always interested in seeing the parcel and everything else as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say, the Sunflowers do look great but it is very understandable that you weren't paying attention to that view or expecting to be surprised by beauty.

    ReplyDelete