Thursday, February 25, 2010

Gardening - a cautionary tale .......

 
Last year when my garden was getting off the ground , I just planted plenty of whatever took my fancy  and then proceeded to feel very virtuous about all the rapid growth. The garden looked good and no one could argue that those plants weren't super busy growing. 

But of course these 2 photos will by now have alerted you to a very serious problem in the vegetable patch.

There is just way too much going on in there - so much so that nothing is happening - green foliage everywhere and the plants all stomping over each other - pushing and shoving for room and sunshine, and hardly any results . When Miri was down last weekend she gave me valuable advice. Pull out anything that is not going to be productive and create some space to give those things that will produce something some time to grow.  So this weekend the tomatoes are coming out, also the broad beans, probably the peas and the last of the pumpkin vine that has gone crazy and is completely out of control.

Ive been thinking that in some ways, that garden you see, is what happens when I get way too busy in my own life. I try to pack too much in, and from a distance one might think  there's a lot going on. However ,what I have found by experience, is that there is often  not enough of what matters most to me going on. Since last year  I have been consciously working to eliminate things that don't add value to my life - even if on the outside it might look like a great or glamorous opportunity.  It's kind of a shame I am such a slow learner but I think I'm getting the hang of it.  Slowly that is.

Still all is not lost on either the home or vegetable front. I did get these out of the garden over the weekend and I did turn down an evening out last weekend in order to spend an evening with Rosie before she heads back to Wellington this  Saturday. 
Finally it was today last year that we had Dad's funeral.Today when I got home there was an invitation from the Hospice saying that on March 4 there will be an ecumenical Remembrance Service - where Dad's name will be readout with a list of others then afternoon tea served. So if those who are closeish by - Ken and Mary? Miri and Bill? feel like going I have the details.

Anyway here's to another week of well chosen priorities!

Marg

4 comments:

  1. Dear Marg

    You write with such wisdom of life. The garden that is my life is too busy also, and tonight working late to file GST many mistakes and over sights made in Dec/Jan have come back to haunt me, and suddenly I'm aware that way too much was going on pre Xmas!

    Thinking of you too re. the anniversary of your dad passing on. I hope all goes well.

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice zucchinis there...
    I overpack my little garden too, but I figure it's like insurance. If one thing doesn't work out, something else will. This year the tomatoes were hopeless because they went in too late, but the zucchinis were good and the purple dwarf beans were fantastic.
    I've been thinking about Dad a lot this week. Doesn't seem like a year, but in other way it feels like a lifetime ago that he was around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you won't be wanting a recipe for green tomato chutney then. I happen to have a dozen spare jars from last year (tried a new recipe from Cuisine;maybe a year later it tastes better because it couldn't taste worse)and another dozen jars from the year before (another recipe, not bad but we prefer red tomatoe relish). If you think you're a slow learner then you're in good company.
    Autumn is not a bad time to put a few strawberry plants in, get a jump start on spring or have you got room for a raspberry cane? I have both of these and could bring them Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you describe with your garden could equally apply to my fabric box. I've got too much stuff - purchased on sale or too beautiful to pass by - but virtually no time now that my little darling/rotter is no longer having a day time sleep to make it up. A prune is required, and a little more purchasing wisdom.

    ReplyDelete