Sunday, March 7, 2010

Project Lovely .....

 

If you recall, last week I set myself the challenge of finding lovely things in dull places over the next week. 
I had been so precoccupied with life I forgot about all the great sights. So this week here are some of my top lovely things. 
- Above - my garden vegetables in my very dull old kitchen sink.  Below - a handful of sweet peas on the window sill. Also Doug and Caths kitchen sink which I think is very lovely and if I were an envious person I would be suffering from sink envy. ( actually  there is no denying it I am)
 
 
 

  

Last week we also got an invitation to attend a hospice memorial service for Dad but instead we decided to have a get together of all who live close enough to attend. So these pictures are for you MaryAnna, Jen , Mama, George and Rosie.  Miri's tomatoes and cheese from the farmers market set the scene for what we do best - Eat  and talk - Ken and Mary brought the juice, coffee and chocolate, Doug the customary bacon and egg pie, Cath's brownie, Miri's homemade foccaccia and well I pretty much just provided the venue. Somehow the day meandered towards late afternoon and we all went to see the gravestone




Here they go - our grandmother, sister and father. I think the stonemason has made a great job of the headstone,   with plenty of room for one last inscription.

Did you know that in 2010 Rosie has taken up collecting souvenir teaspoons? She doesn't know it yet but is about to find out when her parcel arrives to her new address in Wellington this week. I think she will love both of these. One is a Port Chlamers teaspoon - so that will be very sentimental for her and the other is a shilling or something like it beaten into a spoon shape. A bargain at a dollar each at Weirs. 

Lastly here is a strange tale of curious connections.  At our work we have a teacher who comes from Zambia.
There is a masters student at the university who is about to go to zambia for a reasearch project that is set in the same town our teacher comes from. Coincidentally I have some freinds in the geography department at the university who mentioned to me that they had  this student and who needed accomodation and contacts in this same town.

 I was able to put the student in touch with our teacher who has organised the student to stay with her family. 

Now for the curious bit. Today Rosie sent me a text saying that one of her friends and a friend of his had helped her shift into her new flat recently. The friend was a masters student at Otago about to go to Zambia for a research project. She mentioned she had accomodation sorted out with the family of a zambian woman who happens to be a teacher in Dunedin. It is the same person and the teacher is the teacher from our centre. I know it's a small world but I find it strange that Rosie just happended to meet this very same person.

 Bye for now 

Marg

5 comments:

  1. I would like to comment on so many things, but the thing that I cannot get past is the headstone. That's the first time I've seen it and it's lovely. It's nice to have them all together, which is something that I hadn't even thought of until this very moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen you're right and I had sort of thought of it but not quite, more by noticing Georgie Smith's absence I suppose. I love that Cecily postcard Marg. Our cabin baggage was only 17kg a peice, it was just that we had 3 peices each and it's hard to do nochalent when you can't even stow it into the overhead locker without getting a hand.
    That rhubarb is mammoth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the great day on Saturday Marg. Was lovely to catch up. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marg,
    Lovely blog and photos. The beautiful setting on the table and the arm chair are obviously before Hurricane Llouis hit. I'm sorry if there was a trail of destruction - send the bill if there were any nasty surprises! (I'm sure Cath will need to send a bill for the trauma suffered by the dog!).

    Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh there's something so stark about seeing the names on a gravestone - it's like the final finality. So glad you had a memorial service that was meaningful to all who attended although I gather there was a little bit of trauma between dog and toddler. If we'd added Benjy to that mix there would have been even more carnage. How lucky for Rosie to get that Port chalmers spoon. Very special and something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete