Saturday, March 27, 2010

When will you be happy?.....

When will you be happy and what will it take to make you happy? asked Saga from Christchurch last weekend while we were on our breathing course.  We were asked to ponder those questions overnight. It wasn't hard.  Now and not much were my two answers.  

Today for me was a good example of these answers. This morning I walked with a group of friends and others up through Bethunes Gully over to the organ pipes and down through the Grahams Bush walk to Sawyers Bay. 
















It was a lovely climb up through the bushes then over to the Organ Pipes.  Apparently if you go to Ireland you will find very similar rocky outcrops. Local legend there has it they they are sticks thrown by giants. Stick, or stones who knows  - they are certainly spectacular.

This afternoon I managed to massage $30 from our grocery budget and took myself off to an afternoon concert. In the lead up to easter the southern symphonia performed St Johns Passion by Bach. I don't cry in movies or over books but give me amazing music or poetry and Im done for. I was really happy to be there by myself so I didnt have to explain myself to anyone. This really is such a great little city. There's so much going on here. A lifetimes worth of stuff actually ...
You may or may not recall a couple of posts back, that I mentioned that I had managed to get some curtains for $7 from the hospice shop.  With autumn upon us I knew that I had to have curtains in my new room but of course there was nothing in the budget to make that happen ,so I was really happy to find these. There were a little bit too short but I managed to find some green fabric almost the same colour as the walls in a remnant bin for $15 and so for $22 and  a whole day of stitching, pressing, and reshaping I have these warm, very pretty, fully thermal backed curtains for the room. Just in time!! Now that satisfies all my happiness criteria - a problem solved, a bargain, creativity, lovely to look at,  and finally useful. What more could a person want?    


Rosie is coming home for Easter so a parcel won't get there in time. NZ post now takes a minimum of 4 days to deliver to Wellington so she will be back before then. Just as well - it was probably her parcel money that paid for my concert today. 


Here's to a happy week all round. 


Marg

4 comments:

  1. Cripes Marg that's quite a walk up Bethune's gully if I remember correctly you must be quite fit. Curtains look great! And good on you for stealing grocery money for concerts.That's the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post Marg. Hope you have a relaxing enjoyable Easter. Remember to keep breathing; it is the key to enduring happiness. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, may I just begin by saying that your curtains are an inspiration. I have now ditched the idea of getting some curtains made (after seeing the price, aiyeee!) and I'm back to making some myself. However, I don't think I'll be able to rival the super good value of your curtains. Have a lovely Easter down there. We hve been teasing the children telling them that the Easter Bunny is good friends with the Tooth Fairy and that sometimes they mix up baskets and litter the property with teeth instead of easter eggs. Ha ha ha! We love to tease the small ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really was a sterling walk and a lovely one too. What a good idea to put the extra strip of fabric as an insert instead of an add on. Makes it look entirely as if they were made to measure, not lengthened to fit. Maybe the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy are in cohoots. After all, too much of one could lead to removal of the other.
    Last day of term tommorrow. Hooray all round. We are planning to come down in the hols and paint the house, at some stage. Boys are quickly making other plans but there is talk of (some) money changing hands so that could lead to a strong work force...or a motivated one? Both or none.

    ReplyDelete