Sunday, March 21, 2010

The art of living ..... ( some people call it heavy breathing)

Have you ever read any books by Alexander McCall Smith?  I have enjoyed much of his writing and in particular the kindly view he has of people despite all their foibles and weaknesses.  I always want to think nicer thoughts after reading one of his books.

Anyway, this weekend I found myself in a situation along with 5 others where each one of us could have been one of the characters out of one of Smiths books. ( read - slightly odd)  There we were in the OUCA clubs and societies building for the whole weekend. We had given up one night and 2 days  to "master the art of breathing".  For those of you who are right now thinking we had come to learn to breathe heavily into a telephone let me put you straight .  This is serious self- improvement style breathing!!

  Saga from Christchurch had come to teach us.  The first thing she made us do, was promise to attend for the whole weekend. I think she could see each of us furiously planning unexpected deaths in the family or some other tragedy about to overtake us. Nodding in agreement wasn't enough.  The words had to pass through my lips. " I'll try to come tomorrow." A pen is thrown towards me. "Will you try to pick it up please?"  OK point taken " I will come back tomorrow".  And you know what?  I did come back for the next two days and all in all I can say  I'm really glad I did.
         taking time out of one's own life generally has good results, but learning to be conscious of your breath, your thoughts, your emotions also has positive spin offs. Gaining some distance and perspective allows you to see things a little more clearly or maybe to worry less about the concerns that are ever present. When you focus on breathing you certainly get to be present in the moment and that is much harder than it would seem.

 I also liked the way the course did not expect you to sign up for anything else, or necessarily to rush off and follow a particular  religion or adopt a dogmatic rigid lifestyle.  I could not bear to do that ever again. So yes - it was good. And where before I might have called the group slightly odd I would now say a group of really interesting people who I wouldn't mind saying hello to in the street if I ever met them again.


I can't show you Rosie's parcel this week. I decided you simply would not be interested in seeing packets of gluten free pasta, falafel mix, marshmallow easter eggs and a jar of homemade pickle. No that would be tedious. Instead take a look at some of the photos of the children's garden at our centre. Aren't these lovely? My philosophy has always been that if children are here all day then this is their world. Our job is to make it the best world we possibly can for them to  live and learn in.  




Here's to a week of many breaths.

Marg


  
        



....

6 comments:

  1. Hi Marg,

    started reading that post and it instantly reminded me of another saga - the merry-go-round rental from the Opoho Scouts!

    Being confined to a room for two days with someone called Saga would be too much for me but I enjoyed reading about it!

    have a great week, Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH THANK GOD YOU ARE ALIVE. Hadnt heard from you for a while and was starting to think saga had breathed you right up. Or you'd breathed yourself into nothing. (possible card ideas here?) But despite the positive post I'm still scheptical. All sounds a bit freaky for my liking but glad you had fun!

    I'm excited about the parcel, just realised that you wont be able to send one next week cos it wont arrive before I leave for the airport. But I will have the gift of your company instead ha.

    The centre looks great. Hope you dont have a too busy week ahead of you.

    R-chops
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. R-chops- you're not off overseas already are you? Clearly I am badly behind on the news if you are.
    Marg, your weekend made me laugh. I love that you MUST go to both days (first day, inhale, second day, exhale. If you only went to one day you'd suffocate!) Ha ha ha! Ah I crack myself up.
    The garden really does look great at the centre. Lucky kids.
    Love, J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I did enjoy the peek at the garden! I've seen it, sort of, as I wheel my twins' buggy into the paeds outpatients dept through that covered walkway, but I'm usually so focussed on how I'm going to open the double doors to get the buggy through that I forget to admire the lovely garden just outside.
    I totally agree that children need a lovely area outside to play, or sit or just Not Be Inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice about night terrors Marg - Benjy had 2 early wake ups last night which Trevor was able to calm him from and then slept through. harruh!

    The day care only offers full day so now I'm going to have a look at private kindy and make a decision. One thing's for sure, I need a break!

    Glad you found your breathing weekend so helpful for you. I expect you to be calm and radiant all week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Word associations with Saga include long-running, endless, and relentless, o and continuing...When it comes to breathing that last one becomes important. Looks like all the gardens in your life are flourishing. One of the great things about doing the Routeburn (there is already sufficient distance for the aches and pains to have disappeared)was seeing all the native plants in their own environment.
    Did you notice the great pumpkin heist yesterday? I may still have socks of yours to return also. Washing still coming through.

    ReplyDelete