Monday, April 19, 2010

When time stands still....


Hi there - I thought this week I'd start with some ideas for those of you intending to send food parcels now or some time in the next 20 years. Healthy fruit snacks and herbal tea go down well when assignments are due and every living person should have a packaged hamburger to go in their civil defence emergency rations kit.  You know for when the big earthquake strikes as it is due to do any year now. 

This last week just gone I accepted an invitation at short notice to go for a 4 day walk at Cape Campbell.  2 days walk across farmland to the lighthouse and 2 days back again - about 54 ks in all.    I'm so glad I said yes to this trip. At first I thought I was way too busy and then my breathing reminded me that there is only this moment to live so off I went.  The scenery was stunning, the wind was like nothing else and somehow it felt good to be so drawn into the elements.  So there we were - good friends, going for a good walk -  we ate good food and between us we were a secondary , primary and early childhood teacher. So there was plenty of heated and hearty debate -  Along the way there were these quirky huts to stop at and make a cup of tea and rest a while - That little hut on the right really was on that lean - the wind was so terribly strong along the coast it was a wonder we weren't completely blown away!! And somehow the four days seemed like 4 months.  It did feel like time had stopped for a bit.  I'm not sure why that  happens but I think it's got something to do with being totally in the moment and having no other priorities beyond walking and talking at that time.  Whatever the reason - it was a great trip to say yes to. 
Here's to a week of saying yes to good things. Cheers Marg

 

4 comments:

  1. looks like a great walk Marg; I guess you can thank Saga for having the inspiration to seize that opportunity and run with it.

    I am pretty sure the Kings used to serve Vita Fresh orange drink as opposed to the stuff we used to get at home which tasted like a bucket of water which had had an orange soaked in it (briefly). Ok, lets make this week count. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my week count too Marg by wagging Playcentre yesterday and getting Jackie to look after Benjy for an extra day.

    You know I think the time expansion thing is all about walking. Because everything has to be done so slowly. I think our busy lives speed up everything enormously.

    Righty ho I'm off to tidy up the sewing room: now that's a task that'll feel like it will take forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must do that walk some day, it looks great. Headland walks are so nice and open, sometimes I feel a bit hemmed in a big tall forest.
    I am so inspired by your walk that I am thinking of dissapearing for one right now. Hows that for living in the moment?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why but when you said 'hut', I imagined 'chalet' like the flash new ones on the Routeburn but no, that is a hut, and one that looks ready to collapse into a pile of kindling at the next puff.
    The juice at home was jungle juice, made at full strength I always thought, unlike what I used to make for the boys (half strength) and they used to call it 'waterjuice'. They've got great teeth though, you know, thank me one day and all of that.

    ReplyDelete