Sunday, August 8, 2010

Brussel sprouts and the strange week.


Help -can anyone tell me what's wrong with the brussell sprouts?  They are not the small  dolls cabbages I was expecting but rather they are all loose and floppy. They don't look delicious at all -I'm pretty sure I'm not going to bother eating them-they look so horrible.. I'm wondering if it is a soil problem ? and as Ive found out this winter the lack of sun to the garden has resulted in very indifferent  growth.




And because you are so interested in brussel sprouts here's another picture for you to look at.  No I get it - you are not interested and clearly there's not enough going on in my life at the moment. 
Quite the contrary -too much so- which is why I'm focusing on the minutiae. 
This week has been quite the most bizarre week. 
First there have been emails from Rosie from the grand canyon. I can't even begin to contemplate the size and scale of that place much less think that it was less than a week ago since she left. 

Second I had to show my successor through my work place and introduce her to everyone which I found very unsettling.  Later I had a very vivid dream that could only be explained by that.  But  very annoyingly it hung around in my mind for several days which unsettled me more.

Then thirdly -suddenly and inexplicably.  I have a 19 year old boarder till the end of the year. I can't quite figure out how that happened and  I'm more than  fine with the arrangement. But I have been reminded of one of the secrets to success that I've learned as a manager. Communicate,communicate ,communicate. And don't be afraid to even if it feels awkward. The capacity to misunderstand another's requests or intentions is enormous. 


so there we are. I hope it will be a BORING and PREDICTABLE week.  Lets look forward to that.



 cheers Marg









4 comments:

  1. A border? Fancy that! A door closes and 2 windows open, isn't that how it goes? Lose one child and gain someone else's. I'm sure it'll be real wrench for you leaving your old workplace - and for your colleagues too - while I'm all for communicating sometimes some people really are better off keeping their trap shut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those brussel sprouts are freaky.

    Two brussel sprouts and a carrot walk into a bar, and the barman says "What is this? Some kind of joke?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I couldn't possibly resist a brussel sprout question and yes I am very interested. When I saw the picture come up on Jen's blogroll I had one of those weird moments where I thought 'is that me, 'parcel a week' and have I posted without remembering it?'. And then I remembered it was you. Clearly a scattered mind with thoughts all over the place.
    I'm pretty sure the diagnosis, without looking it up, is too much manure/excess nitrogen in the soil and that would fit your soil profile from what I know of it. That gives you woolly/fuzzy sprouts instead of firm tight buds. Another season of growing, and as you have compost to add instead of manure, should settle it all nicely. Try again next year! My favourite advice to self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ˙ǝɹnʇnɟ ǝɥʇ uı ssǝɔɔns ǝɹoɯ uıɐƃ noʎ ɥsıʍ ı

    ¡dn ʇı dǝǝʞ ˙pooƃ sʞooן ƃoןq ɹnoʎ
    ¿noʎ ǝɹɐ ʍoɥ ¡oןןǝɥ

    ReplyDelete