Friday, October 23, 2009

Nothing is ever as it seems.













At times i have read posts on other peoples blogs that seem so personal that I have felt like an intruder. Like I'm  spying on a life that has no business with me. But today I understand that need to say personal things. Because  today when I woke up I remembered that's its 5 years and 1 day since we got home from work and school to find that he had gone. Had packed up 22 years into one small suitcase and left . Gone with no forwarding address.  Now I can't remember why I cried every day for a year. We have found a life we didn't even know we didn't have. Gifts sometimes come to us in strange and mysterious ways.
These pictures may help correct a false illusion created by selective photography last week. It might have looked like I have a great garden. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have a house and section that measure 200 square metres all up and the section is in the early stages of development. Next week someone is coming to reconstruct this back area. There will be a paved area, a lovely trellis back fence and a gravel path leading to the raised vegetable gardens. This little section will be a tiny urban celebration of small scale gardening at it's best and easiest. In my minds eye it is stunning. I think it will feature in a photo shoot for the house and garden magazine.  I will look at it and be envious of the owner and then I will remember that I am the owner!!





 The parcel this week went bright and early on Sunday morning complete with instructions for a sick student hanging in there till the end of the term. I thought that this supreme effort would be rewarded with a Monday or Tuesday delivery.  Off all the parcels this was the slowest to arrive - it took till thursday . typical I suppose when for once it had the most sensible contents. NZ post promise efficiency. Like I said  nothing is ever as it seems.  You may not think that raspberry drops and fejoia sours are sensible items but to me they are fruit. That makes them sensible. 


Happy Labour weekend. enjoy the day off on Monday. Have a great week 


Marg

10 comments:

  1. You are right. Nothing is ever as it seems. And that looks like divine fruit to me.

    Did you ever read "A Secret Garden?" That's what this post is making me think of. We all have our own secret garden inside of us, right?

    I think your new garden will be glorious, magnificent, a celebration. Your very own. A trellis with joy blooming up to the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. The secret garden has always been a favourite book for me. Im really looking forward to the new garden and I will photos of progress as it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good on you Marg, that garden's going to be great. I read your post and thought of that Dalai Lama quote, "sometimes not getting what you want is the best thing you ever got."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fruit was der-licious. Its been coming to the library with me as a study snack. Feeling remarkably better for all of the vitamins and cough mixtures, so hopefully after six weeks this virus has decided its done its dash. Hey you didnt put a photo of the cheese! The garden will look amazing when its done Im sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 5 years? I guess it is. That's a long time.
    What a lot you've done in those 5 years, all of you.
    Mmmmm that parcel looks great. I had a fantastic time in wellington and I'm flippin exhausted from having Too Much Fun. Hang in there Rosie, 15 more days, that's not long!
    Garden is looking fantastic, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marg your garden is beautiful weeds and all. I particularly love that photo of the table and chairs looking out over the neighbours backyard (without the black linen look on the clothesline today). I don't know what makes it so hilarious but it certainly signals coffees and picnics outside in your own peaceful haven and soon.
    Five years, it seems like another life ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marg,

    Whoops, minor issue with last post so will try again.

    Wow - five years. For me, it has been 5 years filled with lovely coffee catch ups at EveryDay Gourmet and cuppas at your lovely home in the weekends. We're looking forward to many more in your styley new garden, DUnedin weather permitting.

    Hope to see you again soon. (Have a house-sitting gig Dunedin 4-11 Jan so hopefully catch up then if not beforehand).

    Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marg

    Thanks for the enlightenment re. the High St. trams. I seem to remember trams somewhere as a child, but I'm not sure where. I was older when the trolly buses were established and recall marvelling at the sparks and how sometimes the sticky up sticks would lose contact the wire.

    I'll try your coconut recipe thanks.

    >We have found a life we didn't even know we didn't have.

    This is similar to what happened to myself! And since it's been a case of strange and mysterious ways too. This is something I reflect on often, and wonder at the circumstances of many separate events, that led to something else, to something else, etc.. etc. or I should say "someone", as it's always a case of people. In summation I would not have missed it for the world, and it also made me look inwards.

    The backyard plans sound good.

    Bye for now

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  10. Complete stranger to your blog, but was blown away by how beautifully you worded this post. It is timely, too, as I was chatting today with my mom about when her father left. You said so much with so few words.

    ReplyDelete