Friday, October 30, 2009

On parenting and parcels that fail to arrive.


Here they are Tom and Rosie with Brooke , Tom's girlfriend on the right.  You can't see Tom's hands but I've long held a not so secret dream for these hands.I thought they could make him a fortune by becoming accessory models. You know modelling man- jewellery, bracelets, rings and wrist watches. Rosie and I have frequently thought it unfair that that the boy should have been born with the long slender fingers that tan at the slightest hint of sunshine.  This week those hands have been attaching cups to cows udders( as part of a practicum he's had to do) and apparently enjoying it!!! Now I have to admit to myself that the time is long overdue for me to release my children from the tyranny of my spoken and unspoken expectations and aspirations  for them.  And as the days for saying goodbye to school for the  last time approach he must be free to pursue whatever path his life intends for him. I will watch and see with interest.

A while back in moment of light heartedness we 3, made up a family motto.
"Don't tell lies.,don't steal and try to be a good person."
I guess if I can hang onto any aspirations at all for my kids it is that they would value their own human qualities beyond things, possesions and a career. Even then they will decide. I do think this is the hardest part of the parenting journey. The part that lets them go. So if you have little kids enjoy every moment of the experience!!

This is the errant parcel- who knows where it is malingering - maybe at the bottom of a pile of stuff somewhere or delivered to another address. I'm sorry Rosie it's not there. It's got a mini birthday kit in it for you to enjoy with your friends before you come home. The strange looking white photo is a pass the parcel complete with insructions. I thought you might have some fun with that. Anyway if it turns up enjoy and I will assemble the very last parcel for they year and hopefully it will get to you before you leave.


Progress inside and out is slow this week. You can see where the new fence is going to go and the gravel area is in preparation for the paving tiles which will go on top. everywhere I look there is something that is the beginning of something else. A layer of chaos has descended over every available space in the property. I am trying to maintain an inner calm knowing that it will all come together soon. Meanwhile I might clear out for a long walk on this beautiful day. Grab a coffee on the way and enjoy other peoples order.

Have a  great week.
Marg

6 comments:

  1. Great post Marg, thanks for sharing... there is wisdom in your words. I find that "letting go" brings many surprises, perhaps more for myself than him [Dougal].

    Needing inner clam here also today, as I shift my office. Oh it's on the same property, but it's a quite mission as I work with IT stuff and the wires can bring tears to the eyes!

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Benjy's present Marg - he showed great interest in the car taking off in front of him- he still hasn't worked out to propel it yet and moves it around the floor on its wheels going forward..

    I'm glad Tom enjoyed his foray into milking and they're all looking so bootiful in that shot - like the young glam teens that they are.

    So excited you are staying with Miri over Xmas too - we'll knock that coat off no worries

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FUN party pack. I love a good pass the parcel, myself. I hope it arrives in time for the end of semester!
    The garden is looking lovely too. You are doing a great job at Getting Around To Things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marg,
    We share your pain about chaos in the backyard - ours looks like a bomb hit it as the site is prepared for new garage. Hoping that will go up this week. We're threatening to move Louis out there after the weekend we've had with him - one of those weekends when we wished he was as old as Tom and Anna-Rose and we were letting go too!

    I had the first sleep in this weekend since he was born and Ken did the morning duty - I said "How was it"? when I appeared at about 9am. The response? "Brutal". Ha!

    Righto- have a good week .
    (Thanks for Louis' pressie too - we broke the rules and opened it early - he;s right into cars at the moment).
    Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. That backyard is really taking shape and it looks very promising. If you hadn't documented the stages we would never know how much work it was. It's good to have a reminder like that before embarking on a project; not to put you off doing it but just to be prepared that it will take time and there will be discomfort, in all its forms. Hey I like the party pack. As we head into serious birthday season nothing like a few reminders of the essentials. Now I see you are staying over Christmas? Shall I book a house? Might be down to stay Friday night if that's OK. Will ring love Miri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the package gets there soon! I love all the changes on your page and thank-you for linking me. It was so great to see a photo of you and your good looking children! I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete