Friday, October 16, 2009

Somethings are too big to go in a parcel


Some things just don't fit no matter hard you try to wrap them up and post them away. Like my new china cabinet from my current favourite secondhand shop , Wiers. It's a quirky  brother and sister combo who run the shop but luckily for me they have a crazy penchant for salt and pepper sets and disney stuff  and also lots of china cabinets which are going cheap because they are not popular at the moment. Now wouldn't you think if you were a savvy business operator you wouldn't be selling china cabinets by the dozen if they weren't popular. If it were me I'd hide all the china cabinets away in storage and just put one on display and still sell at a very fair price but the virtue of just having one on display would  signifiy high demand. A luxury item indeed! Quick let me buy the lovely last one. But they seem to do a roaring trade( with only a modicum of custom from me) so I'm sure they have the right formula.

Rosie if you are looking - I wanted you to notice my new raised garden beds -partly planted with beans, spinach and broccoli. The cat has ruined  any chance of the carrot seed coming up by digging the row up - even getting under the wirenetting to carry out that peice of gleeful revenge on me.Oh and did you notice the wall behind the china cabinet? That is the new wall just waiting now to be painted after the new gib board has gone up.



These will be gone by the time you get home. This rhodendron just yesterday was a bud - today after a night of rain it is open - in a week it will be gone. So lovely it makes me stop and look each time I go past. Actually Dunedin is beautiful right now. The Rhododendrons are all coming out fast and there is still lots of blossom and spring flowers around. I love my walk to work in the mornings. I find myself arriving late because I'm dawdling on the way looking into all the gardens as I go.

So what actually went away this last week? These ungainly looking things called coconut biscuits ( gluten free- mostly coconut with 1 Tablespoon only of rice flour held together with an egg and some sugar ) . I was sure they would arrive as crumbs but apparently not. And evidently very tasty despite appearances. Also some more brain food - nuts and dried apricots from central otago. And no junk from Wiers. Not one little thing. I got to thinking that maybe just a month out from packing up and coming home for the summer that perhaps adding to the possessions wasnt such a clever idea. Still I have walked past Wiers everyday and gazed in the windows thinking what I would choose if were going to buy.
Im sure my walk to work is almost the highlight of my day most days.

Enjoy the coming week. Marg

7 comments:

  1. I am rather shocked to learn that china cabinets are not in vogue at the moment. What the heck is wrong with people? Yours is very beautiful and I can't wait to see it in real life.
    Your raised garden looks so pristine and perfect- my "mother of small ones" eyes looks at it as an ideal sandpit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marg

    Your china cabinet so reminds me of my enchanting childhood, and even elicited the thought right now that I should drive to Dunedin to buy one [note to self: Here at Donald's brain we must leave the past behind].

    I could enjoy Weirs as long as I recall Socrates: I'm happy to go to the market and see all the things I'm happy without.

    ...and I have such a week spot for coconut biscuits too and subscribe to gluten free every time I buy muffins from my favourite Soul Food shop here in town.

    Anyway nice blog... nice photos. Dunedin's rhododendrons... oh how I miss not seeing them some springtimes. And they must surely all improve with age.

    Thanks

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again Marg...

    Is that photo on your cabinet of trams in Dundas Street?

    Cheers

    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am admiring your garden! Cant wait to see it in 22 DAYS!! Wow the china cabinet really is cool. Looking forward to being back, because that means summer and right now I'm very sick of Wellingtons wind, rain and thunder storms. Not to mention never ending projects...
    Miss you
    Love Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marg loving those coffee cups! I just donated my china cabinet to the Sally Army - Trev hates it and didn't like having it in the house. Since I also at the same time got rid of a lot of stuff of his that I hated having in the house I think it was a fair swap.

    Rosie, you might be sick of Wellington's weather but I can hardly believe Dunedin's going to be an improvement! I gasped at your use of "summer" to describe your up coming holiday relocation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the garden looks great and the cat is obviously still alive...still? Dunedin does rhododendrons best of all; the upside of a generous and regular rainfall. What are you all doing for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were hoping you could all come up for Christmas so that will be just great. That rhodo really is beautiful. It inspires me to water my pathetic specimen that is languishing out the back of the house.

    ReplyDelete