Sunday, September 5, 2010

Onwards and Upwards .. moving right along please .....

Last week the form to terminate me from payroll was prepared,  I can no longer authorise payments, sign cheques or handle any financial transactions,  My email address has  been signed over to the new manager . On Friday she sat in my chair for the day while I faded into the background. Several visitors arrived unanounced and it was my job to introduce them to the person who has become me.  Today I polished my travelling spoons with some rarely used silvo  and wrote my farewell notes.   I felt very sad and of course have had many moments of questioning my decision and only time will /can answer that.  I was also determined not spend anymore time writing or thinking about leaving my great job of 10 years so this is literally the last word on it. 

To cheer myself up , this afternoon I took myself off for a walk - signs of spring everywhere and also ominous clouds which have now resulted in gale force winds . The house is shaking - but safely.  A real contrast from Saturday morning when I woke up feeling the Christchurch earthquake.  It  was scary feeling that here. I can only imagine how scary it must have been for the people in Christchurch.  What must be hard will be  for a few days the earthquake will be front page news but in a week or so we will have forgotten it , but Christchurch has many long hard months of recovery ahead.  











Feels like this should be a week where everyone takes good care of each other or at least of themselves.  

Cheers Marg

6 comments:

  1. Nice post. Yes, have been following the chch press' website religiously the last couple of days. They have a lot of repairs to make. Came right before we had a lecture in which they said timber construction was 'flimsy', seeing the photos the timber framing is the only thing left standing in most of those buildings!

    Hope your week of goodbyes isnt too sad. Glad you are starting to see spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It says something for you and your job that you're sad to be leaving it. I'm sure your new job will have lots of great people and lots of new things to learn. That blossom looks lovely, all our magnolias are out along the street and they just look like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to take inspiration from the Gruffulump on Sesame Street and trust the fact that you knew it was time for a new challenge. If all fails, put on a spanner outfit and sprint around the Octagon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your final week goes well - sounds like a bitter sweet experience, which is a great way to leave a job, way better than just the bitter experience, which is the other way people often leave their jobs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret, what a hillarious night we had with you last night and thanks for the quirky present, very thoughtful and meaningful. Enjoy your next exciting challenge ahead and stay in touch! I look forward to reading more about what you are getting up too. Annarose, great letter you sent, thanks for all your kind and very amusing words!

    Glenda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well by now the week is over and you have a few short hours to recalibrate and start again. I can imagine that shedding all that responsibility might be like a caterpillar breaking out of its cocoon. Who knows what will emerge now that there is a bit more room.

    ReplyDelete